December 11, 2008

Books about Babies.

I finished The Baby Owner's Manual and it's a pretty entertaining way to get in to the realm of baby raising. It's short, has illustrations and refers to the little monster as a model, as in computer model. It's disarming and humorous. I have a feeling it's gonna be a good reference when I need to see how to wrap a proper swaddle.

I'm now reading Your Pregnancy: for the father-to-be. It focuses on the pregnancy as the name implies, and not the baby caring like The Baby's Owner Manual. It contains a lot of really great information about what the pregnant Lulu and I should expect, should look out for and might want to think about. Hidden amongst all the useful information in this book are a lot of not as useful tips like you shouldn't insult your wife when she gains weight and all the pain the pregnant partner is going through is not "just in her head." I get that the author was going for an "everyone" approach, but I don't think the guy that tells his pregnant partner she's "getting tubby" and her "feet don't really hurt that much" is going to be reading a book in preparation for the arrival of a little one. My guess is he's going to be redecorating the NASCAR room for the child by cutting animal's faces out of kids books and gluing them to the Budweiser car models over Dale Jr's face. (I'm sorry if you have a NASCAR room. I don't mean to offend, but really? A NASCAR room? And I don't care if Dale Jr. does or doesn't drive the Budweiser car so please don't email us to correct me.)

One of the issues that we're going to be facing down the road is my work schedule. This book says if you have a job where you work long hours or travel a lot you should talk to your employer and see if you can work out something so travel and long hours are reduced. Especially in the 6 weeks leading to the due date. I do travel for my job and when we are busy at work (in the summer), I work long hours. I would tell you who I work for and what I do, but you don't care and the company I do work for doesn't let us grow facial hair on company time so I'm not sure if I am allowed to make babies....even if it is off the clock. Sorry, I digress. Luckily, I have a great manager who has been planning on making other arrangements for the trip I was supposed the be taking 2 weeks before our due date. This makes me very relieved. I would never forgive myself if I missed the birth of my first child due to a work trip. I can't imagine the wrath of Lulu if such a thing were to happen.

-Gus