February 19, 2009

at least the ends will be covered.

Yesterday I was startled from my mid-morning coffee break by the doorbell. I don't get a lot of visitors at 11:30 in the morning, and I was still sheepishly sporting my pj's and bathrobe, so I didn't answer. Turns out I needn't have been concerned about missionaries or ax-murderers, 'cause it was just the friendly FedEx delivery guy dropping off the little G pants that I ordered.



We've decided to go with G diapers because they seem like the ultimate combination of the convenience of disposables and the good-for-baby-ness of cloth. The inside liner is flushable or compostable, so the waste of disposables is eliminated, which is very important to us. And because it's flushable or compostable, the cloth part of the diaper will be much less icky to wash- everybody wins!

Plus, they're pretty darn cute to boot. The little G pants come in a ton of colors, and they were recently on sale so I picked up a few to get us started. I even exercised my restraint for once, and I didn't buy any pink or otherwise femme colors since we still don't "know" for sure what's cooking in there. (Even though I do, but whatever)

I spent the rest of the day knitting up this precious little hat from the book One Skein by Leigh Radford. I was inspired by Meg's knitting for her little boy, and that weird instinctual maternal longing to create something for the baby.



It took two false starts before I finally got it right, but once I had the feel for it I was able to work it up pretty quickly. It's so tiny it's hard to imagine that it will even fit on our child, but hopefully it will at least make a sweet hat to come home from the hospital in.

Also, today's the start of week 18! Belly shot to follow shortly.