February 6, 2009

food + melty cheese = delicious

It seems fitting that here in the second trimester things will just naturally turn to food. There's not a whole lot going on with the whole pregnancy thing, too early to feel anything, too late to have miserable symptoms to whine about, so let's just munch for a while. I presume there will be no complaints.

With that in mind, I bring you the latest creation to be borne from our fine kitchen: French Onion Soup!



I've been wanting some of these handled soup crocks for a while now, so when I saw a matching pair at the thrift store for $2 each, I couldn't pass them up. I haven't been able to justify buying them in the store for twenty bucks, but four? Those babies are mine. And, since the only thing that I know these things are good for is french onion soup, dinner was as good as planned.

I pretty much followed this recipe, except I halved it and used mostly red wine instead of white. It just didn't seem right to make a hearty beef broth-based soup with white wine, but I added some anyway, just to be safe. I also used a bit more broth than the half-recipe called for, because it seemed a little thick after twenty minutes of simmering uncovered.

And luckily- it was delicious! Hubby had never eaten French onion soup before, but he figured that anything with a big hunk of cheese melted on top couldn't be all bad. He approved, and I would definitely make it again. I'm going to have to, because I'll never hear the end of it about the bowl purchase if I don't use them more than once. Unitaskers have no place in our home, I know.