March 22, 2009

and the parenting award goes to:

It's been over 24 hours, and I'm still pissed off at the dumbass who brought her ten year old kid to see Watchmen when we were there. Not because the kid was loud or he was kicking my seat or anything, but because I couldn't help but watch the whole graphic, violent, sexual three hours of it through that poor kid's eyes.

It didn't help matters any that Mom told the kid to "shut up, just shut the hell up" while we were standing in line behind them waiting for Icees, or that she had her hand all over her boyfriend's ass while her kid just stood there looking like the third wheel on her date.

I'm sure that it's possible that the child asked to see Watchmen, and I'm also sure that the adults were not unaware of the R-rating but were just ignorant enough to think that the fact that it had superheroes in it would make it okay for children. As I was wincing through a scene of a guy getting his arms sawn off, it did occur to me that young boys might even think that this kind of thing is cool, but it doesn't make me feel any better that he was there. I just think that there are some things that a child doesn't need to see.

But I do have to wonder if I would have even noticed or cared that the kid was in attendance at this movie six months ago. Is it possible that being a parent is already changing me?