March 19, 2009

I need a freaking baby stuff sherpa

The day after we found out babies gender, we took another trip to baby stores. Top of the list, Babies 'R' Us. I would like to say that I think the name of the store should be "Commercialization of the Miracle of Life" or maybe "Consumer Whores have children too". I'm aware that makes me the consumer whore and I'm OK with that. Walking into this place is instant sensory overload. I like the idea of options. I like having choices. I like being able to go into a store and compare items against one another and leave with the item I think best suites my needs. The internet has been a great tool for this. I can usually knock down the options to a short list on the internet then go out and get some hands on experience with the items I liked. When you go in to Babies 'R' Us, they have a ton of options. There must be 4 dozen child seats/car seats/strollers. I think the thing that bothers me most is there are no differentiating features on any of them. I mean this one's got a cup holder and this one supports the babies neck with some futuristic gizmo invented by NASA, but if you stand in the middle of the child transport area and look around, you can't tell which products are better for your child, better for the you and better for the planet.

Lulu and I are trying are darnedest to provide an earth friendly, healthy environment for our little one and the plastic licensed cartoon character options we have been presented with don't meet our standards. We've found a few boutique baby shops around that have a few options that are more along our path, but nowhere seems to provide us the full package. 

On top of all this, I have no idea what we really need, and what's just being sold to me because I don't know any better. I know I need diapers and a car seat and somewhere for the baby to sleep, but on top of that I have no freaking clue. Everyone I know with multiple children tells me the first time they bought everything under the sun and the second time, they bought the bare essentials. All I want is someone to put together a list for me of what those essentials are, and also tell me what I should splurge on. If I can't find this advice in book form soon, I think I am going to have to write it myself. And by write it myself, I mean make Lulu write it, of course.