March 4, 2009

plumber lulu

I try to maintain a basic life philosophy that if there is something that needs to be done (around the house or elsewhere), there's no reason why I can't do it myself. I'm a pretty curious person who likes to see how things work, and I think I'm fairly logical and usually a good problem solver, so this mentality gives me the opportunity to flex those muscles and develop new skills while I'm at it.

It was with this in mind that I decided to replace the leaky bathroom faucet that's been driving me up the wall with the constant dripping for the past few months. We've attempted to repair it twice now, and it just wasn't helping, so we decided maybe it was time to bite the bullet and just buy new fixtures.

I've been bargain-shopping around, as I tend to do, and I found some cool faucets marked down from $89 to just $29 and decided those might as well be the ones. They're way more architectural than the current faucets, but they're kind of a neat contrast to the curvy pedestal sinks and for $29- seriously. No complaints here.


The hardest part was actually getting the pedestal out from under the sink, but with a little creative wedging (that's a sawhorse turned on its side) I was able to apply just enough pressure to slip it out. I left the sawhorse just in case the sink might decide to try to jump off the wall. I'm not sure how much supporting that pedestal actually does, or if it's just sitting there looking pretty.


I was also quite disgusted to see the amount of funk that had accumulated in the drain and on the floor under the pedestal, so it was good to get them out if for nothing else than a deep clean!

Once everything was shiny and de-slimed, the actual installation process was quite simple. The instructions that came with the faucet were easy to follow, and as long as you think of it like a puzzle with interlocking parts you're bound to be able to figure it out. I ran into a bit of trouble with the pipe coming from the drain being a bit too long, but thankfully the plastic pipe was easy to cut with my handy hacksaw, even while attached.

After just about an hour and a half (plus a lunch break because I realized half-way through that I was starving), I have one new faucet installed and no leaks to be found! Of course, there's the matter of the other faucet on the other sink that lives about two feet away, but I think that might wait until tomorrow. I'm exhausted!



See, it even works!

So the moral of the story is this: don't let the fact that you're a woman, or five months pregnant, or even something logical like the fact that maybe you have no idea what you're doing stop you from trying to do simple things. You may be surprised at just how talented you can be!