March 1, 2009

sewing & stitchery expo

Well, since hubby's lucky enough to be spending the next ten days in New Orleans, I decided I deserved a little treat too. I took myself to the 25th annual Sewing & Stitchery Expo and found a couple of great new projects (and a delicious scone).

The first thing that caught my eye was a kit for a knit "moebius scarf" from SweaterKits. A mobius strip is a mathematical bit of weirdness, very Escher-esque, and basically is just a continuous circle with a half twist. The kit includes the yarn and instructions to make one scarf. I think it will be a good next step from the tiny little baby hats that I've been making lately.

Next I picked up a couple of cute patterns that I couldn't resist. Heather Bailey's Happy Stacker Ring Toy will be perfect in the nursery and I can customize the colors to match my style. I also ended up leaving the expo with a bunch of fat quarters in bright prints so I'll be ready to put this together this week.


The other pattern that I bought is a quilt pattern called Birdie Big Blocks by Barbara Brandeburg. I've never actually quilted before, and I imagine it will be quite a while before I get around to actually tackling this project, but it was just such a cute pattern that I couldn't pass it up.
I've been doing a bit of applique lately, so I may just put a couple of these blocks together and see how it goes. Maybe it will come together quicker than I think.