June 25, 2009

36 weeks

Well, we're coming into the home stretch now! Just a little over a month left now that we're kicking off week 36 today.

It's been a bit of an exciting week starting with my appointment on Tuesday, when my midwife decided that she wasn't positive that Junior was still in the preferred head-down position as he she was sure he had been for the last few weeks. Since there is still a window to get him to flip if necessary, she recommended that I have an ultrasound to verify the position so we can be 120% sure and I could get started with the headstands or whatever she was going to be asking me to do ASAP.

So yesterday I visited the radiologist for the ultrasound, and our sweet Baby didn't disappoint. He's happily floating in there head-down like he should be, and I was able to get another glimpse at his cute little mug. I even got to see him yawn! Super cool. We also took the opportunity to verify that he does indeed have boy parts, so there shouldn't be any surprises at the birth!

The tech checked some other things, but that was about all I could absorb before I started feeling light headed and got really uncomfortable from lying on my back for so long. Turns out that the weight of the baby and his liquid-filled uterine home is way too much pressure to have resting on important arteries like the vena cava for any length of time. My ears were ringing, I was seeing stars, and I was sweating and near passing out for at least two minutes after I was finally allowed to sit back up.

As unpleasant as it was, it's comforting to know that he's in position and we'll be ready for him to make his appearance soon. I have a feeling that these last few weeks are just going to fly by!