August 2, 2009

playing tricks

In what I can only assume is a taste of things to come, I'm finding that this kid really knows how to push my buttons! I imagine him in there all snug and cozy with no plans to go anywhere any time soon, but loving the fact that he can set off just a few contractions once in a while so he can get me thinking that we're actually making progress.

Take for example: Saturday morning I woke up at 1:30 for one of my many nightly bladder-maintenance breaks and felt an unusual, almost painful tightness in my uterus. I went back to sleep until 3:10, when I had to pee again, and the tightness was back. I decided that this new sensation must be the fabled labor contraction that I have been waiting for, and so of course I couldn't fall back to sleep until after five. When David woke up a few hours later I told him that maybe that was the day, but then a few hours passed and nothing had developed.

We left for Lincoln Park to take a nice long walk and try to get things moving, but nope- nothing.

Sunday morning I felt another contraction when I got up for my 6am bladder break, and of course we took another fruitless walk.

I know that he'll come when he's ready, but it isn't stopping me from trying to help the process along. Evening primrose oil, raspberry leaf tea, chiropractic, walks- if someone has suggested something that might help get things going, I'm giving it a try.

But, it looks like we're dealing with a stubborn little guy here. He's not letting anything change his plans, which is fine I guess. I just wish he would let me in on what they were!

Can't wait to meet you little guy. Any time now. Mommy and Daddy are ready.