September 23, 2009

Grandma's brag book

My mom's birthday is tomorrow, and she's absolutely the worst person in the world to shop for. Instead of buying her something that she doesn't need or won't use, I decided to make her something that I hope she's going to love.


Every Grandma needs a brag book, right? And a hand made and embroidered fabric version must beat any one that you can find in a store.


I took apart an small basic photo album to rob the page inserts for mom's book, and hand embroidered the patch with a baby block pattern for the cover. There's a layer of soft but stiff interfacing to give the cover the weight that it needed, and the blanket stitch on the edges keeps it all together. The label with his name and birthday is printed on ink-jet fabric for a neat and tidy look, since I didn't think I could embroider cleanly so small.

I requested that Gus set up the tripod and take a family photo too, because we didn't have any pictures of the three of us and I'm sure Mom will appreciate it. We felt like the biggest nerds in the world posing like that in our living room, and it took a lot of takes to get one with all of us making a normal face, but I think it turned out okay.


Happy birthday Mom! Hope you enjoy it!