October 5, 2009

happy to be home!

Well, I think that the trip went pretty much as expected. Lincoln did fine in the car for the most part, sleeping much of the way as predicted. When he wasn't sleeping, however, you would have thought that there was someone in the car driving hot stakes under his fingernails, so loud and inconsolable were his cries.

The drive that should have taken about five hours ended up taking eight each way, after we stopped all the necessary times to feed, change, and comfort Lincoln. Some of the stops were at restaurants, gas stations, or rest stops, but plenty of them were simply off on the side of random middle-of-nowhere roads when we couldn't make it any further.

At around the sixth hour on the road each way, Lincoln started to get sick of being in the car and decided to express his discomfort and general unrest the only way that he knows how. Unfortunately, it was around the same time that we were also tired and cranky and ready to be done driving. His version of the "are we there yet" is way worse than any five year old's- guaranteed.

It wasn't until we were nearly home that I realized that I could have saved us a lot of time and stops if I would have had the foresight to pump so that we could have fed him and made forward progress at the same time. As usual, hindsight is 20-20. I would say that we'll know for next time, but I would like to think that we're too smart to attempt another trip that long for quite a while.

We had a great time once we finally arrived at the farm, and our hosts were amazing as always, feeding us and providing us with a comfy nest to sleep in. We even got to participate in some fun farm activities while we were there. Gus helped out a bit with the construction of the red shed, which is being outfitted as a guest house; and I followed Hanni around with Lincoln in the Ergo while she milked the goat and fed the chickens and did other farmerly chores.

I was excited to meet their midwife, who came for a home visit on Saturday evening. Unfortunately, Lincoln had other plans and we instead spent about an hour and a half in our room while I tried in vain to soothe a very cranky and overtired boy. He was wailing and crying big, heartbreaking crocodile tears and absolutely refused to be consoled. He eventually did fall asleep, but the midwife was long gone and I'm sure Hanni was questioning her decision to procreate by that point.

Now that Lincoln's a big grown up boy of seven weeks, who stays awake for longer stretches of time and is far more involved in the world around him than he was a month ago, it's easy for me to forget that he's still a newborn. He's a huge newborn who is wearing six-month clothes already, but he's a newborn nonetheless. I think I've been so anxious to resume some pattern of our previous life that I've been stretching the limits of what he's really capable of right now. My sweet little boy has been considerably more fussy the last week or so, and I'm pretty sure that that's in direct proportion to how much I've been dragging him around lately and how many naps he's been deprived of as a result.

This week I'm going to try to be more conscientious, and make more of an effort to take better care of my boy. He's only going to be a baby for a little while, and I don't want to rush through this part! There will be plenty of napping on mommy happening this week. I think my list will just have to wait.