December 7, 2009

drive me to drink

One for the "dear god, I hope this is just a phase that he grows out of like, really really soon" file:

So lately Lincoln has decided that he HATES riding in the car, and he wants to make damn sure that you (and everyone within a few blocks) know it. It's a rare moment these days that we can go anywhere in the car beyond a few blocks before the little man starts crying and screaming and the tears, oh- the tears! It's not only obnoxious and distracting, it's heartbreaking and makes me feel like I'm somehow personally failing him as a parent. What have I done to make you hate the car, little monkey? I will gladly undo it immediately.

Just this weekend, for example, we decided it would be easiest to get our Christmas tree from the madness that is known as Ikea if we went on Friday night after picking Gus up from work instead of Saturday or Sunday. Lincoln cried off and on for most of the ride downtown, and he really picked up steam once Daddy was in the car and we were heading to our destination. By the time we arrived everyone's nerves were beyond frayed and I was in tears myself. I just don't know how to fix it and it kills me that I'm so helpless in that situation. No amount of soothing or distracting seems to help, but the moment we pull into the driveway and shut off the car, the wailing stops.

Then, on Sunday, I was invited to a fun little cookie-exchange party, and I brought Lincoln along to meet and mingle with the ladies. He cried for the entire twenty-five minute drive from home to our destination, and he was so worked up that he ended up continuing the fuss for at least half of the party as well. Then he cried for the beginning of the car ride home, but finally passed out from exhaustion before I had to swerve into oncoming traffic or off the I-90 into Lake Washington to put us both out of our misery.

I just really don't get it. Cars are supposed to be giant soothe-o-matics for babies- everyone knows that. Colicky baby? Trouble falling asleep? Take him for a ride in the car! They obviously didn't have a Lincoln.

Anyone have this problem? Know someone who has? Suggestions? Maybe he's bored? Overstimulated? Hot? Cold? Uncomfortable? Has a deep-seated and intense hatred of Hondas?

Mostly I just need to hear that it's going to go away. Otherwise, we may just stop leaving the house altogether.