December 15, 2009

Stockings for everyone!

Obviously, Lincoln didn't have a Christmas stocking, so I decided that instead of buying him one, I needed to make the three of us new ones that all matched.

Stockings are one of my favorite things about Christmas- all those fun little goodies inside! There was always a neat collection of stuff in ours when I was growing up, and we could count on the Life Savers Sweet Storybook being inside every year. Remember those? I might be the only person that thinks butter rum Life Savers are delicious!

Anyway, I found a free pattern online from McCall's, and picked up some various Christmas fabric super-cheap at Joann's. I combined that with some basic cotton solids that I had on hand, and voila!

These are fully lined, and have a layer of cotton batting too, so they're nice and hefty and hold their shape even when empty. I added the names to the cuff with the fusible magic of Wonder Under, then just did a little whipstitch around the edges for fun and to add definition.

Don't tell my hubby, but I think once Christmas has passed, I may make one (or two) more and stash them away just in case Lincoln has a little sister someday. I wouldn't want her to feel left out if her stocking doesn't match!

I'm also planning to make a Christmas tree skirt to match these, but we'll see how far I get on that project this year. Many other things are in the works, so that might have to wait!

What kind of Christmas craftiness are you up to?