February 19, 2010

my little secret

Even though it represented the height of modern convenience, I felt compelled to remove the old wall-mounted can opener from our kitchen pretty much the moment I moved in.

In case you missed the technological advances of the 1960's, it was a contraption like this:

(not our house, but you get the idea)

And although it was an improvement, I was left with a hole in the wall with two electrical wires capped off with wire nuts. Not the prettiest aspect of the kitchen, to be sure.

My solution: put our knife block in front of it. Out of sight, out of mind! We also talked dreamily about putting up a tile backsplash a few dozen times, but never roused the initiative or funds to make that happen.


That was all fine until yesterday, when I decided to rearrange the kitchen to make more functional use of the countertops and available space. The knife block and cutting boards, which had been fairly efficient camouflage for my gaping hole, were relocated across the room to our new "prep zone". You can probably imagine that having this ugly hole in the middle of our kitchen was not going to work for me. Not even a little.

Thankfully, hubby was considerate enough to buy me a card for Valentine's day, despite the fact that we don't typically like to endorse those fakey made up commercial holidays. And it just so happens that his card was lovely enough to frame, so I was able to cover the hole with a pretty and functional new piece of art for the grand total of zero dollars. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.


Now, just promise that you'll pretend that I never told you that there was a big hole in our wall, and if you come over don't stare! I'll know that you know, and you're looking right through the art to the unfinished wall behind. Repeat after me: out of sight, out of mind!

And if you were curious, the card says:
Some people make the world more special just by being in it.
I know, right? Sorry ladies, he's taken!