Liesl has said that the most frequent question she got asked about Oliver + S was when she would design a women's line, and now finally it's here! And thanks to the partnership with Simplicity, the Lisette patterns are easy and affordable. Nice bonus!
I picked up all four patterns in the collection during a Joann Fabrics $.99 Simplicity sale, because I love a bargain and I knew I would regret not getting them all when they were so cheap. I will never pay full price for anything at Joann, but I won't even pay 40% off for a pattern when I know that there are times that they only cost a buck. I mean seriously, why would you?
I had spent a little bit of time checking out the Lisette website and scoping out the flickr group trying to decide which garment to stitch up first, and I decided on the Portfolio tunic because I loved these two so much. And Liesl's (the first one) really inspired my fabric choice for this muslin because I love how hers is so sheer and summery feeling and I was hoping that my *ahem, old bedspread* would give me the same look.
And it almost did! Mine is a little bit more opaque, but it's definitely got a good spring vibe. I'm just excited that what was meant to be just a test run to check the size ended up fitting well and being cute enough to wear in real life. So hooray for muslin success!
The on-seam pockets are brilliant and absolutely my favorite feature of this top. It took a little leap of faith for my not-spatially-gifted brain to manipulate that step, but once it came together I was totally impressed both with my own incredible skill and the cleverness of the design. I love it when things just fit together so well like that. It's so satisfying!
Based on what I read on the forums and on some of the flickr pages, I decided to cut and sew two sizes smaller than the size indicated by my measurements and I'm glad that I did. Simplicity patterns are designed with A LOT of ease, and I just like my clothes to fit closer. This thing would have been a tent had I gone by the envelope, so I'm happy that I took the risk. There's still some shaping that could be done under the arms, but I'm not worried about it this time. Maybe if I sew this pattern again I'll try to figure out how to fix that.
There is some nice detailing on the front placket, with a hint of gathering and the topstitching that makes it look professional and finished.
By some miracle, I even had two linen-looking covered buttons in my stash that matched the color perfectly and I thought added just the right feel to the back closure. Overall, I think the top has a nice 60's housedress style that I'm totally digging.
I normally don't go for a tunic length top since I'm short, but I think the look is growing on me. Husband says it looks like curtains or a smock (said like "schmock"), but I try not to pay much attention to his opinion when it comes to fashion. I told him that I was sure that he would be proven wrong once I got the pics up in flickr and added my top to the Spring Top Sewalong pool. So go: prove him wrong!
And then since Lincoln couldn't understand what I was doing taking all of these pictures without him being the star, I had to get a shot with my little ham and what is becoming his signature crazy and untamable hair. Also note his digger (shobel!) and ever-present water cup. That kid loves to hydrate. And is huge! He's practically as tall as me already and he's not even two!