April 29, 2011

spring top v2011.2

I finished a second top for the Spring Top Sewalong!













It's drafted from the same pattern as my white top from last year, but I tweaked it a little bit and instead of using one of hubby's old shirts, I actually bought some material this time. It's so hard for me to justify spending anything on fabric to make something for myself, so of course it was on super sale at JoAnn. It's a cute swiss dot floral print, and I love the texture. This shirt is lightweight (borderline sheer) and perfect for spring.































This time I added shirring under the bustline to gather in some of the extra fabric, and used the same drawstring through a bias tape casing that I used last time to cinch up the neckline a bit. The sleeves have elastic and the edges are finished with a rolled hem on my serger. I used the rolled hem on the bottom hemline as well, as I inadvertently cut the fabric too short to hem it any other way. If I make this shirt again, I'll cut it a little longer, but I'll probably still roll the hem because it makes such a nice clean finish.

As I was working, I was worried that it was going to turn out too maternity-shirt looking, but I think it's alright after all. I have some work to do on the neckline (still kind of gappy), but otherwise, I think this is a pretty solid pattern considering that it was drafted by someone who doesn't actually know what they're doing. Now we'll see if I can manage to get one more in before the Spring Top Extravaganza is over...