September 30, 2011

nineteen weeks

So, moving right along with this pregnancy and already just about half-cooked! I can tell, because the pop-up turkey timer that has replaced my belly button is approximately half-popped at this point. Just the top half, mostly, so it's starting to kind of resemble an eyelid. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was about three minutes after I hit "publish" on my last belly post that everything suddenly emerged from hiding and I really started to look pregnant.

19 weeks
My apologies for the weird yellow lighting. I do have a cold, but as far as I know, not jaundice. It was evening by the time I mustered the energy to take a photo, and obviously, I couldn't be bothered to brush my hair or put on shoes either. Just keeping it real here.

Also have started to really feel the baby moving a lot in the last week or so, and not those vague little "was that it?" type of bubbles, but real kicks and jabs and flips. The timing of the first movement was great, as I was fairly certain that I had caused Thing 2's untimely demise when I electrocuted myself in my ongoing quest to rid the world of almond-colored electrical outlets a few days earlier. And although I know much better than to consult Dr. Google when it comes to such matters, I couldn't help myself. My fingers were typing "electrical shock while pregnant" before I could even think to stop them, and the next thing I knew I was going to all sorts of dark places that we don't even want to think about. So yeah, DON'T GOOGLE! Especially when pregnant. Google should have that disclaimer right on the search page, actually:
"If you're pregnant and are about to consult the internets regarding some mysterious symptom or need answers to any question best answered by a medically trained professional, PLEASE BACK AWAY!"
And, nineteen weeks also means that it's about time to find out what kind of parts this baby is going to have! By this time next week, we'll know (assuming full cooperation on the part of Thing 2). I keep going back and forth on what kind I'm currently rooting for. Sometimes I would really like a girl, for the obvious reasons: cute ruffly dresses, doll houses, pigtails, etc. But- it would also be really fun to have another boy because then Lincoln would have a brother. Something about brothers just seems like fun. Plus, we already have all the right clothes and toys for that kind of baby. But if it was a girl, think of all the cute stuff I could sew! You see the dilemma. But we'll see soon enough. Well, not really soon enough- but it's just a few days, so I guess I can wait.

In other news, Lincoln is still a charming two year old, and he's really become interested in dressing and (mostly) undressing himself lately. He's frequently taking off his pants because he's "too hot" and last night ate dinner in just a diaper at his passionate insistence. While it does make for easy clean up, I was concerned that he would drop a hot noodle on his belly so I finally convinced him that a bib would be a nice addition to his ensemble. It's fun to see him asserting his independence this way, and usually he's successful in his attempts at doing things "ALL BY MYSELF". Sometimes though, not so much:


Lincoln insisted on undressing himself for his bath that night, and somewhere in the shirt removal process things went horribly wrong. He just could not get it off of his (perhaps oddly large?) head, and wouldn't let me help at all. Finally I gave up and he calmed down and into the tub he went with a stylish new turban and an ear all red from the struggle. I finally just tore it off quick like a band-aid, which of course resulted in a mighty tantrum, but he was soon distracted by me washing his hair and he had something new to complain about so all was well once again.

He entertains us in so many ways, really. He's also been singing a lot of songs lately, both ones that we have taught him, and ones that he has made up on his own. His little imagination is so fun to watch, and I think this age is just incredibly awesome. He particularly likes to walk around with a partially extended tape measure held across his belly singing: "I play banjo, I play banjo..." Maybe we should get him a little guitar so he doesn't end up sitting on a porch with a jug between his knees? Redirect that musical talent now, while he's still young.