November 15, 2011

Lincoln's New Coat

I finished a new winter coat for Lincoln this afternoon and I'm so happy with how it came out. Lincoln is too!


This is a pattern from Ottobre Design magazine, issue 4/2010. The design is #18, the Naava corduroy jacket. Sizes are 92-128 cm, and I stitched up a size 92, which is like a 2T. I added 1/2" to the sleeve length, which as you can see from the photo above, probably wasn't necessary, but Lincoln grows out of the length of things way before they're too small, so this should fit him for a long time.


I used 8 wale corduroy in a nice chocolatey brown, and lined it with pale blue. I was a little worried that the baby blue would read kind of feminine, but I think the masculine styling and the brassy buttons make this all boy!


The whole coat is interlined with TP971F, which is a heavy needled fusible fleece by Pellon. It will be nice and warm this winter! I'm so pleased with how professional this looks! I really didn't know what to expect with the minimal directions that are given in Ottobre magazine, but I worked through it step by step and was pleasantly surprised that everything fit together just like it should. And it was quick too- I started yesterday afternoon and finished today during nap.

Before I started I looked around for reviews and photos of other finished projects to see if I could find any advice, and there isn't much out there on Ottobre patterns on Flickr or Pattern Review, so I added some more photos and a review of my own. It can be so helpful to see how others have done things before you get started, so hopefully someone can benefit from my work!