February 17, 2012

For my big boy

While waiting for Little Miss to make her appearance, I've been keeping busy sewing a few things that have been on my list for a while. One item in particular, a backpack for Lincoln, is something that I told him I would make for him back in September. Every once in a while he'll randomly tell someone that "mama's going to make me a backpack" and I feel like a huge jerk for stringing him along for so long.

I honestly had no excuse, as I purchased Rae's Toddler Backpack pattern months ago, and collected all the supplies shortly after. All of it has been sitting in my "works in progress" box (which I suppose is more accurately a "mostly not-even-started, but on my radar" box) ever since. And then finally, my nesting urge became a last-minute sewing urge, and I'm now the mama of one proud boy.


When I told him I wanted to take a picture of him with his backpack on, he ran over to the hook it was hanging on, put it on his back and immediately struck this pose for me! What a cutie pie.

As I mentioned above, the pattern is by the brilliant Rae of Made By Rae, and has been recently updated with instructions for adding a lining. I purchased the pattern before the update came out (like a few days or a week before) and I was kind of bummed because I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new copy of the pattern to get the updated info. Thankfully, Rae is not only brilliant, but also thoughtful, and offers just the update in her shop for a measly $2! Genius.


For the outer fabric, I chopped up an Ikea pillow cover that matched the formerly orange walls in the nursery. It's a medium weight cotton canvas, but I added a layer of interfacing anyway to give it a little more structure. The lining is an adorable airplane print from Robert Kaufman's Ready, Set, Go! collection that I picked up a remnant of with no specific project in mind. When I was scanning my shelves for a good lining option, it was the obvious choice. I mean, how cute is that?

Lincoln is thrilled, and couldn't wait to fill it up and take it to preschool. Hopefully he thinks it was worth the wait.


There are a few more pics with more detailed info about the fabrics and construction here, if you're into that sort of thing.