I pressed on after the bucket hat troubles, but veered a bit from the list in order to prepare for picture day at Lincoln's preschool today. Lincoln already has a million versions of the Patterns by Figgy's* Tee for Two, but I decided to put a fresh one together anyway. My favorite source of material for these tops is a huge stack of unloved clothes that I've inherited from various people, so I turned there to see what looked inspiring.
I picked out a soft ribbed heathered navy sweater of David's and matched it up with a spring green tank top of mine. Both garments were practically brand-new, so it's nice to give them a new life this way!
I finished it up last night, but this morning decided that it was a little big and not my fave for picture day. I ended up raiding my shop for a new shirt instead and sent him off in the "Mini Prepster" argyle tee with an applique of blue corduroy and various colors of embroidery thread:
While I was digging through the knits last night I also pulled out a striped Calvin Klein cotton knit chemise that is far too tight for my tastes but an awesome color combo for spring. It ended up being a perfect match for a yellow tissue-weight jersey hooded tee that I was given in a big batch of hand-me-downs from a friend. The tee has a hole in the front, but there is still plenty of fabric to salvage. I cut off the sleeves to make use of the cute cuff detail that they have.
I cut size 4/5 for Lincoln this time around. He's still wearing the 2/3 just fine, but I wanted to make something that he could grow into over the spring and summer. I made the blue and green one up just as instructed, but I did add about an inch of length to the neckband, as I always do with this pattern. I find it just too tight to fit over Lincoln's head when I cut it as designed.
I do like the look of the exposed raw edges, but I decided to skip it on the yellow striped one and put that one together with my serger instead. There are no visible seams on this one except for the coverstitch on the cuff detail, which was part of the original shirt I cut up, and not a seam that I made. I didn't have four cones of matching yellow thread to serge with, and that was part of what informed my decision to hide the seams inside on this version. It's also a heck of a lot quicker to stitch up this way! I put this one together in less than an hour today, from cutting to fashion show.
And I haven't abandoned the bucket hat either. In fact, when I went back to pick new fabrics, I found two combinations that I just had to use, so I have pieces for two hats in size large ready to be stitched up.
Poor Juniper hasn't seen a thing from kcwc so far, but I haven't forgotten her! The things I want to make for her will be for summer anyway, as she's got plenty to wear right now.
*Although Patterns by Figgy's is no longer, the Tee for Two pattern also appears in Sewing for Boys as the short sleeve raglan tee (easily adapted to long sleeves).