April 22, 2012

kids clothes week challenge

Tomorrow kicks off the Spring 2012 edition of the "kids clothes week challenge" (kcwc as the cool kids say), hosted by Meg at elsie marley! I was almost late to the party, but I decided to take the plunge and join in. The idea behind Meg's challenge is that if you can commit to just one hour of sewing (or cutting/planning/knitting/whatever) for your kids each day for a week, you're bound to end up with something great to show for it by Sunday. One hour a day sounds achievable, so I'm in!


Here's what I would like to tackle this week:


  • A little summer romper for Juniper, using Simplicity 1813, an adorable vintage reissue from the latest collection. I'm thinking view A (minus the cupcake), or D/E (love that ruffle-bum!).

Realistically, that's probably all I'll be able to accomplish, although the wish list is of course MUCH longer. The latest issue of Ottobre magazine (3/2012) arrived yesterday, and there are some cute things in there too. I really like these board shorts for Lincoln:


And this sweet little pleated dress for Juniper:


I could go on and on. The things I want to sew far outweigh the available hours! So back to the actual plan- when I asked Lincoln to pick out a fabric for his sun hat he selected a lovely pale pink floral print. Now, I'm all about encouraging him to make his own decisions and breaking down those preconceived gender rules, but really? I think I may have to exercise my Mama Veto on that one. Don't I? What would you do?