April 24, 2012

a virtual planetoid*

Foiled again!

Good thing Juniper will be coming up along behind ready to make use of Lincoln's cast-offs, or I would be pretty upset about my first day's work for kcwc!

The reversible bucket hat was first on my list, and first to make it to the cutting table. I decided that I would take the opportunity to exercise my Mama Veto, and selected a sporty (not pink) stripe for one side, and a complementary (not pink) khaki twill for the other. The khaki fabric was once a short sleeve shirt of David's, and the stripe is of unknown origin. It was a fat quarter that I had hanging around. Might be Amy Butler from some old collection? Dunno for sure and I'm too lazy to research it right now.

So anyway, here it is:



Totally spent the time to match the stripes and do those million rows of topstitching around the brim. It's cute! And I love dressing Lincoln in orange and brown for some reason, he wears that combo a lot. So it's perfect for summer, except it's not.



See, I measured his head, and it was 20". Exactly. And that's the measurement that's listed for the size medium. So naturally, I cut and sewed up a size medium. And naturally, it just barely fits on his head! I was trying to replace his current sun hat (also orange and brown- see, I told you!) with one that would actually get him through the summer. And I actually took the time to measure! I didn't just guess! I measured! And still. Foiled.

But it fits for now. And I'll stitch up a large just as soon as I feel like doing tons of topstitching again (so probably this afternoon). But I'm out of stripes. Well, no, that's not true at all. I'm just out of THOSE stripes. Plenty of other stripes to be had. So watch this space for Reversible Bucket Hat v.2. Probably in more stripes.



And by the way, when I told Lincoln that I was working on a hat for him yesterday he said: "OOOH, like a PINK one??" Oh, that boy.

*bonus points for you if you recognize the reference in the title as a quote from one of my fave movies of all time: So I Married an Axe Murderer. Lincoln's head isn't exactly like an orange on a toothpick, but it's obviously not my fault that the hat was too small. Blame the kids, that's what I always say!