May 11, 2012

pattern review: Simplicity 1808

Week two of MMM'12 is nearly over, and I've completed my goal of making one new item. I whipped up view B of Simplicity 1808 yesterday in a couple of hours, with a few breaks for baby-tending and toddler wrangling.


I wanted a quick and basic knit pattern that I could use to build my me-made wardrobe in a practical way. I live in knit tees and jeans, so I figured that spending the $.99 for this pattern was worth it, even though I'm sure I won't make those charming elastic waist shorts or pants. I might make up the dress view though if I can find a heavier knit in a print that I like. But enough about the pattern, here's my top:


I had some lightweight rayon jersey that I picked up on super clearance for $4/yd, and I thought this drapey style would be perfect for it. It's hard to see, but you can tell in the mirror that the back has a slight v-neck, which I think is a fun detail. Otherwise, this is just a super simple and quick-to-make tee that I could make in a dozen colors for an instant me-made wardrobe boost. And I just might!

The pattern calls for the sleeves to be elasticized, so they end up with more of a cap-sleeve shape. I do like a cap-sleeve, but I'm not a huge fan of elastic around my arms, so I decided to leave it out. The resulting sleeve is nice and fluttery, and I think it works just as well this way. In a heavier jersey, I would probably use the elastic, but my rayon is so fluid it drapes really nicely.

And look how versatile! If I had one of those grown-up jobs that required me to leave the house and look respectable, I could dress it up like this:


Too bad the bottom is all blown out and you can't really see my cute pink bow pumps. They're ancient, but I love them.

Anyway, official pattern review is here. Weekly MMM'12 wrap-up is coming tomorrow. Happy Friday! Bye for now!