April 30, 2013

MMM'13- Count me in!

Whoa! I didn't mean to stay away for so long, but it's been a pretty crazy couple of weeks! I started my new job on the 15th, so I've got two full weeks under my belt and I haven't run away screaming or spent a day huddled under my desk crying (yet), so I think we're off to a good start!

With Me Made May 2013 just around the corner, I've spent the first two weeks "practicing" to see how my me-made garments would translate into my new corporate environment. I think I'm in pretty good shape! And interestingly, rather than reaching for my comfortable stockpile of trusty old Banana Republic trousers left over from my last foray into the 9-5 world, I've found that I'm actually preferring to turn to my fun skirts and dresses when I get dressed in the morning. In fact, I had to force myself to wear something store-bought the last two days so I could "save" my me-mades for Wednesday, when it will finally be May. I figured that I have about 15-20 items to work with, and with five weeks that works out to 4 days per week that I should be able to wear at least one me-made item. Some of the garments aren't really suitable for my workplace dress code, but I might be able to get away with them on the more casual Fridays, or wear them on the weekends. My initial intent was to go with a three-day pledge like last year, but as Zoe said, this should be a challenge, so four days it is. I would love to be able to pledge to do it every day- maybe next year!

me-made-may'13

So, here's what I posted on the MMM'13 sign-up post over at So, Zo... What do you know?:
I, Tiffany of twilltape, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '13. I endeavour to wear a minimum of one me-made garment four times per week for the duration of May 2013. In addition, I pledge to complete four new garments during the course of the month.
I initially wrote that I would complete just three new garments, but I decided to up the ante to four. It will be a struggle for me, but I figure a little fire under my butt can't hurt. I've got one garment underway right now, and another in the wings. I have no idea what the next two will be, but maybe I'll get brave enough to tackle my Burda coat. That would be a real coup, and I can't really imagine I'll be that courageous, but maybe.

I've also got two recently completed dresses that I would love to share, but I just haven't had a chance. I'm hoping that I'll aclimate quickly to this new schedule so I can figure out a way to work my most favorite hobbies (blog reading, sewing, and blogging) back into my every day. I know that in reality there's time, but it's going to take a while for me to find it. Bear with me while I figure it out! And have fun with Me Made May! Maybe I'll see you in the Flickr group, and I'm looking forward to everyone's posts on the topic.